Thursday, September 8, 2011

Reflecting on Past Projects


For a time, my roommate/best friend and I collaborated on what we called "The Door Project." Every time someone went in or out of our door a picture was taken. This project went on for 5 months. The Objective was to show change, and the passing of time. I realized today that I miss it. Thinking about what it would have shown if we had kept it going has made me nostalgic. As we get older, and are no longer in school, time moves faster, and we seem to change even more rapidly without the common grounds of classes and homework to ground us, and bind us together.
My other work, often has an end result that I could not have anticipated, and with these photos it was the same. I thought that we would collect a series of images, that over a few months would show small changes. Hair lengthening or shortening. A change in the weather, and our style. These changes are there in small ways, but there was a much larger, over arching theme. Ultimately, what the photos illustrated, and (what I did not anticipate) was love. A love between friends, who shared and apartment, worked and went to school together. Five months of friends, old, and new boy friends caught in jpegs. The first time we view the photos, in a slide show, as we had intended this feeling became very clear. I enjoyed this project very much, and although I would change somethings next time (the light for example) I would very much like to repeat it again in the feature.

No comments: